Thursday, January 13, 2011

CBR III Review #16: Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn by Christopher Pike

CBR III Review #16: Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn by Christopher Pike

I love Christopher Pike.  I started reading his books when I was in middle school and I have probably read every book he has ever published 3 or 4 times.  I actually recently went on a mission to collect all his old books because I wanted to re-read them as an adult.  I'm glad I did.  The books are considered Young Adult, but after re-reading them I'm a bit shocked I was ever allowed to read them.  There is enough sex, drugs, and nudity to challenge some of the racier novels I use to read in college (everyone is allowed a few guilty pleasures). While I was going through some of his older novels I found out that he had released a new novel Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn.  I was ecstatic.  This novel is a continuation of the Last Vampire series that he wrote, which in my opinion is the best Vampire series out there.  The first six novels int he vampire series were written over 15 years ago.  The sixth novel in the series was a definite ending but Christoper Pike has gotten around that and renewed the series. Christopher Pike may have decided to start the series back up because of the huge surge of vampire popularity or maybe he just decided he wanted to return to writing, in either case I'm glad that he did.

The novel, like it's predecessors, follows Alisa aka Sita a five thousand year old vampire.  Alisa once again finds herself alone in the world and her loneliness draws her to make contact  with her only living descendant from her human life, a college student named Teri.  However, because of those who have become aware of what Alisa is the two of them find themselves in great danger.

For those of you who are worried that Pike has lost his touch, don't worry he has not.  It's amazing how easy it is to get back into a story that I originally read 15 years ago. I forgot how much I loved the character of Alisa/Sita and the vampire mythology. Pike tends to lean heavily on Indian Religion, and while I find it fascinating, a lot of people may find it distracting or odd.  I wouldn't recommend this novel to a Pike newcomer but if you read him as a child and loved him then  I would pick up Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn for a wonderful dose of nostalgia.

Product Details

Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© On the Brink of Insanity All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates