Friday, April 8, 2011

CBR III Review #50: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

CBR III Review #50:  Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium is much like Matched and The Giver.   Shockingly this novel actually made me appreciate Matched a bit more.  I'm not sure why this novel annoyed me so much. I'm guessing because it felt so much like some of the other novels I had all ready read I was just sick of the genre.

Delirium is based on the fact that their is a highly contagious and deadly disease running rampant through society. This disease is Amor Deliria Nervosa and you can only be cured from it once you turn 18.  The disease is also known as Love. The government has also altered poetry, novels, many types of literature and music to erase anything positive about love.  People are raised thinking the worst thing that can happen to individual is if they fall in love.  Apparently the symptoms of love are erratic mood swings, unpredictability, and extreme depression once the relationship ends.  This extreme depression can lead to suicide, war, and many other extremely unpleasant events.

This book has been reviewed a few times on CBR III so I don't need to go into major details.  Without even reading you can guess what happens.  Our protagonist Lena ::gasps:: falls in love and has to fight against society and its standards to regain her individuality.  I actually really enjoyed the ending of the novel and  then I found out it was a planned trilogy, which should be interesting considering the way we left Lena.  I think my biggest problem with trilogies is the first novel can feel like it takes forever before it starts to become interesting.

Product Details

  • Format: Kindle Edition
  • File Size: 583 KB
  • Print Length: 448 pages
  • Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0061726826
  • Publisher: Harper Collins, Inc. (February 1, 2011)
  • Sold by: HarperCollins Publishers
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B0045U9WPU
  • Average Customer Review: 4.5 out of 5 stars 
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© On the Brink of Insanity All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates