Friday, July 15, 2011

CBR III Review #84: Sisters in Sanity by Gayle Forman

CBR III Review #84: Sisters in Sanity by Gayle Forman

Gayle Forman is an excellent writer, I just wish she had been around to write novels when I was actually a young adult. I think I could appreciate her novels just a tad bit more if I was in the target audience. Sisters in Sanity is about Brit Hemphill, a young teen, who marches to her own beat or to her own drum (you get the point).  Brit is not sexually promiscuous and she doesn't do drugs, but she does stay out late and play in a band.  Her father and stepmother use that as an excuse to ship her off to Red Rock, a "school" for troubled teens. Red Rock is a nightmare. Red Rock's program aims to tear teenagers down other than building them up and bestowing them with self confidence.  Brit becomes increasingly depressed about her situation until she meets a few girls that makes the nightmare bearable.

I tend to lean towards mysteries and suspense, but I enjoyed Sisters in Sanity even though it's not my normal fare. There is no grand conspiracy to unravel just some teenage girls trying to make due in a horrible situation.  The novel is beautifully written. It is a a coming of age story, but I feel it is more relatable if you are an alienated teen.

Sisters in Sanity is a quick read and I really learned to enjoy Brit as a character and as a narrator.  As I said I wish I could have related a bit more to the story, but I highly recommend it to those who decide live life off the beaten path.

Product Details

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 304 pages
  • Publisher: HarperTeen; 1 Reprint edition (April 21, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0060887494
  • ASIN: B00375LOR8
  • Shipping Weight: 7.2 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
  • Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars 
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© On the Brink of Insanity All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates