Tuesday, July 19, 2011

CBR III Review #88: Ultraviolet by R. J. Anderson

 CBR III Review #88: Ultraviolet by R. J. Anderson

Alison wakes up from a semi-conscious state to find herself in a hospital about to be moved to a mental institution.  Her memory starts to slowly return to her and all she can remember is fighting with fellow student Victoria Beaugrand outside the school.  As you get to know Alison you realize she has a weird condition.  Alison can taste letters and every letter has a specific color assigned to it.  Sound also resonates inside her.  She is convinced that this gift somehow killed Victoria by reducing Victoria to atoms.

For those of you that are familiar with psychology the first part of the story wont be a huge surprise to you, but it's interesting to watch Alison recognize her condition and you root for her to learn how to cope with it. However, once the author starts to explain what happened to Victoria the story takes a gigantic leap into left field.  I even double checked to make sure I was reading the same book.

I really loved the first part of the novel as Alison learns about her condition and the other patients brought some depth to the novel.  The relationship between Alison and her mom is heartbreaking and I was really enjoying the novel then came the last few chapters.

The direction, tone, and genre of the book changes from a coming of age story (with a dash of murder mystery) into a completely different story.  I don't think I have ever used the expression "jump the shark" but if I was going to apply it to something I would apply it to Ultraviolet.  I just feel like the ending should have been somewhat alluded to or more time had been spent explaining it.

I really enjoyed the first part of Ultraviolet so I struggle if I should recommend it to people or not, but hell go for it.  I will give you a cookie if you can guess the ending or if anyone else saw that coming.

This title will be released September 1, 2011.

Product Details

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 306 pages
  • Publisher: Carolrhoda Books; 1 edition (September 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0761374086
  • ISBN-13: 978-0761374084
  • Shipping Information: View shipping rates and policies
  • Average Customer Review: 4.0 out of 5 stars  






Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© On the Brink of Insanity All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates