Thursday, September 8, 2011

CBR III Review #104: Waking Hours (The East Salem Trilogy) by Lis Wiehl and Pete Nelson

CBR III Review #104:  Waking Hours (The East Salem Trilogy) by Lis Wiehl and Pete Nelson

Double Cannonball completed!  I have officially read and reviewed 104 books this year.  There is no way I would survive a triple cannonball but I will keep reviewing and posting as I keep on reading.

I decided to save this review for my double cannonball completion because I had a real problem with the Waking Hours.  The problem is really truly enjoyed the novel.  The reason this is a problem is because when I went to look up information on the author about other novels she had written I found out Lis Wiehl is a Fox News contributor and used to co host a radio show with the devil himself, Bill O’Reilly.  I've never seen Lis Wiehl on television so I can't say for certain I would hate everything she stands for, but considering she works for Fox News it's not a huge leap of faith on my part.  When I found out who the author of Waking Hours was I wanted to hate everything about the book, but I couldn't.  Far left leaning atheistic feelings aside I really enjoyed the novel.

Waking Hours is about the mystery of a young girl's brutal murder in  East Salem, NY, a rich suburb of New York City.  Forensic psychiatrist Dani Harris is brought into help the police catch the killer.  Dani's path keeps crossing with Tommy Gunderson, an ex football player, who has decided to try his hand at being a private investigator.  Dani and Tommy both went to the murdered girl's high school several years back and feel personally connected to the case and it's outcome.

I really enjoyed everything to do with the murder mystery and the journey to find a vicious killer.  The novel is well paced and the characters of Dani and Tommy really come alive.  Besides the author my main problem with the novel was the overt religious scenes.  Tommy spends a lot of time in this novel praying and discussing religion and it felt heavy handed at times. I didn't realize this novel was going to be a trilogy when I received it from Net Galley so you can understand my confusion when the story didn't end with a neat and tidy bow around it.  It was only after looking it up on Amazon did I realize that there are two more novels to go in the series.  I really believe the story will continue well in a trilogy and I look forward to reading them.  I just hope the religious aspects are toned down or Wiehl risks alienating her non Christian readers.

I would also like to point out that my main problem with the overuse of the trilogy is its almost impossible to keep up with all the ones I need to finish.  Am I going to remember to look for the next book in this series a year or two from now?  I guess only time will tell, but changes are I'll forget about it unless I run across it while browsing on Amazon for new books to purchase.

This title will be released on October 4, 2011.

Product Details

  • Hardcover: 336 pages
  • Publisher: Thomas Nelson (October 4, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1595549404
  • ISBN-13: 978-1595549402
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© On the Brink of Insanity All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates