Thursday, December 1, 2011

CBR III Review #125: Fallen by Lauren Kate

CBR III Review #125: Fallen by Lauren Kate

Even Stevens and I have all ready discussed how horrendous the cover art of the book is.  It takes gothic supernatural teen romance to incredibly cheesy levels (and it is almost as cheesy as it can get all ready).  To make matters worse the cover doesn't even make sense in the context of the story.

The story follows Luce who has been enrolled into a reform school after her boyfriend died in a mysterious fire.  Luce does not remember what occurred that night so the judge shipped her off to reform school.  My first problem with the storyline starts here.  Why would a judge ship a girl of to reform school if there was no evidence she was involved?  If she had been convicted of the crime wouldn't she be in prison for murder? I'm fairly certain judges can't ship you off wherever they want unless you are found guilty of a crime. End of first gripe.

Luce quickly makes a few friends and a few enemies, including the mysterious brooding Daniel.  I want to tell you the rest of the premises of the novel but the problem is Luce doesn't even realize what is going on until almost the end of the novel.  I read a review of what the premises entailed and that is the sole thing that kept me powering through.  Maybe it's because a few years ago when Twilight hit it big I told my boyfriend I had an idea for a novel and  I described the exact same premises of this novel.  He told me it was stupid.  Now Lauren Kate is probably making a butt load of cash.

 The battle at the end of the novel is a little hokey but it's not shy about blood, gore, and death and I can appreciate that.  I think I'll have to get through the whole series before I can let you know if I recommend it or not.

Product Details

  • Reading level: Ages 12 and up
  • Hardcover: 464 pages
  • Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (December 8, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0385738935
  • ISBN-13: 978-0385738934
  • Product Dimensions: 8.3 x 5.7 x 1.6 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 1.3 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
  • Average Customer Review: 3.6 out of 5 stars 
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© On the Brink of Insanity All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates