Thursday, December 22, 2011

CBR III Review #147: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

CBR III Review #147: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

 Shatter Me follows Juliette a young women that hasn't touched anyone in almost a year.  The reason is because her touch is deadly.  She accidentally killed a young boy and has been locked up ever since.  The world that Juliette lives in is heavily polluted and resources are extremely limited.  It's a dystopian novel, but honestly I'm not sure why it's a dystopian society.  You are really never given a clear reason why the two sides are fighting and what caused all the pollution and destruction.

I really like the premise but that was about it.  The writing was disjointed and weird.  I felt like the description of the country and who was fighting and for what was never really described.  Tahereh Mafi uses a technique where she keeps writing what the character is thinking about saying, then crossing it out.  Some may really like it, but I found it distracting.  If it had been used sparingly I may have enjoyed it more but after ever few sentences it becomes a little much.  There were a few steamy scenes that I enjoyed, mostly because YA likes to tip toe around those scenes.

Near the ending of the novel it pretty much turns into a X-Men novel complete with costumes. If I wanted to have a X-Men universe I would have just re-watched the movies.

I was so disappointed with the writing and the set up of this series I don't think I'll be picking up the next one in the series.

Product Details

  • Reading level: Ages 14 and up
  • Hardcover: 352 pages
  • Publisher: HarperCollins; 1 edition (November 15, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0062085484
  • ISBN-13: 978-0062085481
  • Product Dimensions: 8.4 x 5.6 x 1.3 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 11.2 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
  • Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars  
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© On the Brink of Insanity All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates